The Philadelphia Eagles announced on Monday that one of the most consistent players on the team will be around for years to come.
Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins and the team agreed to terms on a four-year contract extension that will keep the 28-year-old in the City of Brotherly love through the year 2020.
“Malcolm has proven himself as a leader on and off the field,” VP of football operations Howie Roseman said in a statement released by the team. “We are excited to have him on the team moving forward.”
“Philly’s a team that I really want to be on for a long run . . . I told (agent Ben Dogra) if the feeling’s mutual, I’d love to get something long-term done,” Jenkins said at a NovaCare news conference.
Jenkins was set to make $5.5 million with a cap hit of just over $7.4 million in 2016, which is the last of his current contract. The new deal specifics aren’t available just yet, but according to NFL.com Insider Ian Rapoport, the deal is work $35 million, $21 of which is guaranteed.
With the extension, the Eagles now have Jenkins under contract for five years at $40.5 million, showing that their priority was clear.
In the past two seasons, Jenkins has played more snaps than anyone in the NFL while missing just two defensive snaps last year. He was name to his first Pro Bowl after the 2015 due to an incredible year of 109 tackles, three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and 10 pass breakups. He also had two interceptions including the sweetest one for fans all season picking off New England’s Tom Brady for a 99 yard touchdown.
“My career is really just starting to take off,” said Jenkins, who led the team in tackles over the past two seasons (233, by the Eagles’ count), and in interceptions (five). “I’m really just catching stride.”
Jenkins is the fifth player to sign a contract with the Eagles this offseason joining Vinny Curry, Lane Johnson, Brent Celek and Zach Ertz. Although not a homegrown drafted player like the others, Jenkins has been vital to the team since he joined the team before the 2014 season.