Devils 4 Flyers 1

On a foggy day in Philadelphia, the New Jersey Devils visited the Philadelphia Flyers to play ice hockey. It was a battle of backup goalies as Keith Kinkaid opposed Michal Neuvirth.

The Devils got on the board early as Pavel Zacha backhanded a shot passed Neuvirth in the low slot. However, Travis Konecny answered back four and a half minutes later as he poked a rebound past Kinkaid as a Devils powerplay expired. Miles Wood was in the box for interference. The goal was scored at even strength as the goal was scored just as the penalty time expired. The Devils contemplated a challenge for goalie interference, but after a lengthy delay, elected to let the goal stand.

A few minutes later, Miles Wood got back involved as he shoved Radko Gudas into the boards from an odd angle. As Gudas went down, Wayne Simmonds made his way over to Wood and promptly dropped the mitts. Wood caught more fists in the fight, Simmonds was given 2 minutes for roughing and five for fighting while Wood took just 5 minutes. Simmonds was lucky to escape an instigator.

The second frame was just as chippy as the team’s first meeting a month ago. Damon Severson of the Devils was goaded into a roughing call by Travis Konecny as Konecny refused Severson’s multiple advances to fight. Wood would be caught holding a few minutes later, giving him quite the busy night in the box.

At 15:34 of the 2nd period, Radko Gudas nailed Wood with a clean hip check that the referee deemed to be clipping. It was a questionable call that was made exponentially more confusing by Wayne Simmonds, who is designated an Alternate Captain, being hit for an unsportsmanlike conduct call for attempting to gain an explanation from the officials about the Gudas situation. The fans in the Wells Fargo Center loudly jeered the officials for this questionable call.

The above GIF from our friends at Sons of Penn shows the questionable nature of the call.

On the five on three, the Devils took a 2-1 lead when Nick Palmieri scored. Then in the closing seconds of the period, Wood himself scored to to make it 3-1. Neuvirth’s night was done and Steve Mason started the third in goal for Philadelphia.

Early in the third, Wood scored his second goal of the night to put the Flyers down 4-1. The Flyers come back attempts proved fruitless as the Devils held on to win 4-1.

Flyers fans however found a reason to laugh at Keith Kinkaid. Twice in the third period after taking shots to the face, Kinkaid flipped his mask onto the ice to cause a stoppage. This prompted the Philadelphia fans to cheer “take it off” every time the puck buzzed near Kinkaid in the waning minutes of the game.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.