Photo credit: Amy Irvin (38Photography)
Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but the Flyers… are kind of delightful? Hey, two back-to-back wins to open up their first homestand of 2015 ain’t too shabby, especially since one of those wins was in a shootout. I always throw in the towel when they end up in one because I just know they’re not going to pull it off, but damn it, Wayne Simmonds made me feel like a fool. (It’s cool, Wayne Train. We’re cool.) The Flyers take on the Boston Bruins tomorrow afternoon and will attempt to make it three wins in a row. To hold you over until Flyers action returns, here’s a recap of the features on Pattison Ave from this past week:
- The Lehigh Valley Phantoms had a busy week to start the new year, with three games in four days.
- This week’s Flyers Prospects Report focused on performances at the World Juniors, Jason Akeson’s hot streak, and the game-related struggles some prospects are facing.
- A recap of Tuesday night’s win against Ottawa, where Wayne Simmonds was the man and scored not only during regulation time, but got the game-winner in the shootout.
- The Toronto Maple Leafs fired coach Randy Carlyle this week, which got the rumor mills buzzing, but the Flyers could do a lot better than Carlyle.
- While Carlyle is not the most ideal option, former Penguins coach Dan Bylsma could be (he could coach a team and work at David’s Bridal!).
- In the first Realistic Rental piece, the focus is on Braydon Coburn and the potential returns the Flyers could receive if they were to trade him.
- The Flyers made it two wins in a row on Thursday night, defeating the Capitals in overtime.
- A rallying call as the Flyers are at the halfway point of the season; do you still believe?