Image via Frank Fimmano
Brayden Schenn registered a goal and two assists, while Steve Mason recorded 46 saves to lead the Flyers to a 4-1 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins Sunday afternoon.
Jakub Voracek also notched a goal and an assist while Ryan White and Michael Del Zotto both scored goals. Mark Streit added two assists while Sean Couturier, Michael Raffl and Claude Giroux each were credited with one assist each. Mason was superb in net for the Flyers allowing just one Pittsburgh goal. The Flyers swept the season series over the Penguins, going 4-0-0.
Pittsburgh’s lone goal scorer was Brandon Sutter. David Perron and Ian Cole were credited with assists. Thomas Greiss stopped 16 of 20 shots.
Brandon Sutter would give the team from Western Pennsylvania an early lead on the power play, as he took the puck on the side of the net and beat Mason on the far side.
The Penguins lead would not last long, as the Flyers would get their chance on the power play and cash in with just 42 seconds remaining in the period, as Jakub Voracek would blast a one-timer passed Thomas Greiss.
Philadelphia would strike again on the power play, as Brayden Schenn cashed in on his 17th goal of the season. Steno’s goal was of the fluky variety, as it beat Greiss by going over his head. Voracek would attempt to shoot the puck off Schenn’s stick, which propelled the puck into the air. As the puck floated down, it beat the Penguin’s goaltender to give the Orange and Black a 2-1 lead.
Tempers would flare up in the third period, as the Pens were on a delayed penalty call. Rather than just touching the puck, Chris Kunitz fired a slap shot at the Flyers open net (Kunitz rang the puck off the cross bar, for the record), which set off a mini donnybrook that resulted in a 10-minute misconduct for Voracek.
The Flyers would get their revenge on Kunitz’s unsportsmanlike, but not penalty worthy play, by scoring a beautiful goal by Ryan White which came on a wrap around no look feed from Sean Couturier.
Philadelphia would put a capper on the game with Michael Del Zotto’s 10th goal of the season, with just 10 seconds remaining.
Thoughts and whatnot:
- This Flyers team loves to play inspired hocket versus the Penguins. It’s a shame they don’t play Pittsburgh more often.
- Steve Mason is the real deal. Besides making 46 saves, he made several highlight reel grabs, including one in the first period that should be up for the save of the year.
- Michael Del Zotto is good. And physical. And pretty awesome.
- The Flyers scored three power play goals.
- Patrick Hornqvist is not a pest, but he tries to be, and that didn’t work at all.
- Sean Couturier has played perhaps his best two-game stretch in his short career
- I like Brandon Manning. He’s calm and cool under pressure while providing a nice physical element to his game.
- I love you, Jakub Voracek.